[users@httpd] Re: How to SSL protect certain directories

Joost, I've tried you option,

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/secure_dir(.*)
RewriteCond %{HTTPS} on
RewriteRule /^(.*) http://my.site/$1

but still get no change in behaviour. It won't go back to http once it's gone to https:.

Is there any additional information that I can provide to you to make this easier.

Thank you,

Romeo

On Apr 14, 2006, at 11:36 AM, Joost de Heer wrote:

Romeo Theriault wrote:
I have an apache website that I need some directories protected by
ssl. So I got the certificate etc... Now I have two virtual hosts,
one that is the unsecure and one that is the secure. There are only a
few directories that I need secured by ssl.

for example:
http://www.some.domain.name.com/distance/register/
http://www.some.domain.name.com/registrar/request/

So to get those directories secured I put this mod_rewrite code into
the unsecure httpd.conf file.

<Directory /var/www/www/distance >
                         RewriteEngine On
                         RewriteBase /
                         RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]

'RewriteCond %{HTTPS} off' is a better check

The problem is that once people have viewed those pages that are in
those secure directories the rest of the pages they view on the site
are on the secure site. I would like to have a rewriterule in the
secure virtual host to check if they are not in one of those
directories and redirect them back to the unsecure site.

Something like

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/secure_dir(.*)
RewriteCond %{HTTPS} on
RewriteRule /^(.*) http://my.site/$1

Joost