[users@httpd] Name based virtual hosts and wildcard certificate

Hi

I have a problem with running HTTPS for name based virtual hosts. I
know that 'SSL wont work for name-based virtual hosts'
[http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.8/ssl_faq.html#ToC47]. But it is known
that for name based virtual hosts Apache will read the certificate set
for the fist vhost and this is ok for me, since I have just one
wildcard certificate [*.mydomain.com] and I use it for all vhosts.

It seems to work properly with 5-7 virtual hosts. But when i try to
add another vhost with the same certificate Apache throws an error:

[error] Oops, no RSA or DSA server certificate found for
'vhost8.mydomain.com:0'?!

I have no idea why there is a problem. All vhosts differ only with
ServerName and DocumentRoot. The rest of the configuration is the same
and all vhosts have the same certificate. So why Apache tells me that
it cannot find the certificate file when it already read it for the
previous seven vhosts? Any ideas where to look for solution?

OS: FreeBSD 6
Apache: 2.2.0_7 (but I got the same error with Apache 2.0)

Sample vhost config:

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName vhost8.mydomain.com
    DocumentRoot /home/www/vhost8
    DirectoryIndex index.php index.html
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:443>
    ServerName vhost8.mydomain.com
    DocumentRoot /home/www/vhost8
    DirectoryIndex index.php index.html

    SSLEngine on
    SSLCertificateFile          /usr/local/etc/apache22/crt/server.crt
    SSLCertificateKeyFile       /usr/local/etc/apache22/crt/server.key
    SSLCACertificateFile        /usr/local/etc/apache22/crt/ca.crt
</VirtualHost>

--
Best regards

  ..:: Jacek Chmielewski :: IT outsourcing group :: www.itog.pl ::..