Re: [users@httpd] Diff b/w httpd and tomcat

Khawar Wahab wrote:
Need some help. I want to run a web-server on my home network and
experiment with different web technologies. I'm confused whether
Apache httpd is the server or tomcat is? I have hosted a JSP based
site using tomcat.
If tomcat is a web-server, why httpd?
if both are servers what's the diff? which is better? help!!!

Thanks

The diff is that Apache web-server is a webserver mainly for displaying static contents and dynamic contents using CGI scripts by default. You can use Apache also for other dynamic contents but you have to put support for it. e.g adding some "so" modules and doing some configuration changes in the httpd.conf file. On the other hand Tomcat is also some kind of web-server but I always refer to it as an Application Server instead. As far as I know Apache web-server is faster at serving static contents while Tomcat is faster at serving dynamic ones. The best idea of using a web-server for serving both static and dynamic contents is using a kind of a mixture of both (Apache & Tomcat). In such a case you have to integrate Tomcat with Apache web-server.

I hope it helps.