[users@httpd] [newbie]Setting a secured apache server

Hi everyone,

I am using a monitoring tool -nagios- that is running through a web interface where you can configure things. I really want avoid people from being able to log to that server or to know wich is coming in and out of the traffic. I am actually using authentication with .htaccess file. Is that the most secured authentication method ? Yes i know it is a naive question and i am sure the answer is no, so i should ask which authentication method is the best?
I want to strongly encrypt the traffic...should i use SSL for that ?

Thanks for your info.

--
Le bon sens est la chose du monde la mieux partagée.