RE: [users@httpd] Running Apache 2.0.NN

You merely need to change the path to your apachectl of your 2nd
httpd in the init script.

e.g. here I have a Fedora 3 where httpd was installed from an FC3
RPM

# rpm -qf /etc/init.d/httpd
httpd-2.0.52-3

In this init script a variable apachectl is set as

# grep ^apachectl /etc/init.d/httpd
apachectl=/usr/sbin/apachectl

Unless you need very unusual starting parameters (e.g. -DSUEXEC
or similar own extensions)
I would say all you need to do is set the apachectl variable to
point to your second apachectl beneath /usr/local

It's probably safe to also change the paths of the following var
definitions to refer to your other httpd

# grep -B2 -A5 ^apachectl /etc/init.d/httpd

# Path to the apachectl script, server binary, and short-form for
messages.
apachectl=/usr/sbin/apachectl
httpd=${HTTPD-/usr/sbin/httpd}
prog=httpd
pidfile=${PIDFILE-/var/run/httpd.pid}
lockfile=${LOCKFILE-/var/lock/subsys/httpd}
RETVAL=0

Then reactivate through chkconfig (since you deleted the
symlinks)

# chkconfig --add httpd

# chkconfig httpd on

# chkconfig --list httpd

and finally try to start your 2nd server

# service httpd start

Hope I haven't forgotten bits.