[users@httpd] possible memory leak in line ending conversion?

Before submitting this to bugzilla, I wanted to see if anyone else has run across this and found a solution. I didn't run across anything in the archives, but it could have been my search word choices. We are seeing huge amounts of memory being used when text is converted from UNIX line endings to Windows line endings on very large text returns. We have a cgi that gives back lots and lots of formatted text as text/html. The columns are no more than 70 and have hard returns. As Apache converts the line endings from UNIX to Windows, you can watch the memory size of httpd grow. One of our developers created a little test script to help show off the problem. The script is:

#!/bin/bash
echo "Content-Type: text/plain;"
echo ""
echo "<pre>"
for i in `seq 1 $1` ; do
        echo "A"
done
echo "</pre>"
exit 0

You can then call it with an argument of how many lines you want returned. A good example would be if you call the script test.cgi and call it with "http://my_test_server/test.cgi?333333333";. Going from UNIX to UNIX, you do not see a problem. However, if you use a Windows client or just have wget say it is a Windows client with '--user-agent='Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET)' you can watch the httpd grow fairly quickly. This has been tested on 2.0.55 and 2.2.0. They both have the apparent leak, but 2.2.0 was about half as large as 2.0.55 when the same amount of data (~200M) had been sent.

Charlie

Contractor