[users@httpd] Slow configure process on AIX

Hi,

I am just building Apache httpd 2.2.0 on AIX 5.2.

During the first run of configure, I noticed that the configuration process is extremely slow. The most sluggish part is when configure tries to figure out which version of the Berkeley DB is to be used. The tests literally take forever.

This reminded me of a similar problem I had during the build of gcc on the same system. So I tried the same remedy, and it works well - configure time is down to a fraction of what it was before. The workaround is quite simple: Install bash and make configure use it as its shell:

---
export CONFIG_SHELL=/usr/local/bin/bash    (or wherever your bash is located)
./configure
---

The reason, as far as I remember, is thet ksh creates lots of temp files which it has to clean up afterwards.

Hope this helps someone,

  Peter.