[users@httpd] Webserver config for version 1.3 or 2.0 - emulate "UseCanonicalPhysicalPort On"

Greetings all,

I have been trying to find a solution to this issue with my 1.3
webserver.

I am using 1.3 because this is part of an Oracle 10g Application server
and I don't have a choice to go to 2.2.  2.0 is apparently an option now
but the version we currently use is 1.3.

What I want to emulate is this 2.2 configuration:

Servername xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Port 80
Listen 81

UseCanonicalName Off
UseCanonicalPhysicalPort On

Why I hear you ask?

I'll explain the configuration for those that are interested:

* - 2 servers running Oracle 10g AS with HTTP_Server and WebCache
* - Web Cache is listening on Port 80
* - HTTP_Server is listening on port 81
* - OC4J engine on each
* - Multiple Deployed Applications, Multiple named DNS entries

This doesn't cause an issue except when the web server needs to rewrite
a url if I set "UseCanonicalName On" then all URLs revert to
"xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/the rest".  If I set "UseCanonicalName Off" then the
URL keeps the correct DNS entry but I then get "correct.dns.entry:81/the
rest" which defeats the purpose of having the cache.

Just to add a little more complexity both these servers are load
balanced through a Cisco Engine.  This is not the issue as this has been
elinated using a round robin dns test.

Attempting to use rewrite has not worked.  We tried:
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^correct.dns.entry$ [NC]
    RewriteCond %{SERVER_PORT} !^80$ [NC]
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://correct.dns.entry/$1 [L,R]

But with all inbound requests being on port 81 this just gets us into a
loop which will eventually cause an error.

Can anybody think of a way to resolve this or should I just restructure
my components so the web server can listen on 80 and my problem then
goes away?

Thanks in advance,

Bruce

CCC QQQ U U Bruce Young
C Q Q U U PeopleSoft Systems Engineer
C Q Q U U Information Technology Division
C Q Q U U Central Queensland University
C Q Q U U E-Mail: b.young@xxxxxxxxxx
C Q \Q U U Phone: +61 7 4930 6383
CCC QQQ\ UUU Fax: +61 7 4930 9254