From: dan+apache-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:dan+apache-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 12:11 AM
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [users@httpd] Why the sudden need to raise MaxClients?

We are using Apache 2.0.54 on Debian GNU/Linux (standard Debian
packages). The server had been running for several months with
absolutely no problems. A couple of days ago, Apache started slowing
down, then would eventually stop responding completely. The only way to
fix it was to restart Apache. It got to the point that Apache would only
stay functional for a few seconds at a time. Watching the Apache logs
revealed no unusual activity before the lockup.

I discovered the MaxClients setting, which in Debian defaults to 20 for
the prefork MPM. I raised it to 100, and the problem went away. I
believe the default for this value is normally 256.

What would cause this problem all of the sudden? My first thought was a
DOS attack. Am I on the right track?

--df