[users@httpd] Forcing a proxied host to generate REMOTE_USER

Hello all!

I'm having trouble with a proxy setup, where I need to generate a REMOTE_USER variable for a cgi-script, but also allow no-authenticated use.

The setup to allow authentication ether by http-auth and remote ip, and then froward the calls to an inner server where the cgi-program checks for the presence of REMOTE_USER in the environment or else uses REMOTE_ADDR (which I extract from HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR in a wrapper script). I cant seem to get this working :-(

the current config is on these lines:

first server:

        <Location /service>
                AuthType Basic
                AuthName "Service domain"
                AuthUserFile /etc/apache2/passwd/servicepasswd

                order deny,allow
                deny from all
                Include /etc/apache2/passwd/servicedomains
                require valid-user
                satisfy any
        </Location>

	RewriteRule ^/service/?(.*) http://inner-server/service/$1  [P]

Inner server (in service/.htaccess):

	AuthUserFile /www/conf/servicepasswd
	AuthName "Service domain"
	AuthType Basic

	order deny,allow

In this basic setup, nothing works :-) (well I can login and see the application but the application wont get a REMOTE_USER variable), if I add a "require valid-user" on the inner server in works for authenticated user but login via ip-number stops working. After half a day of of searching the documentation and trying various combinations of "Allow from <first server ip>", "satisfy any" etc. I'm stumped.

Anyone go any ideas how to do this?

Best regards

/jp

--
 jens persson         #         Don't spend more on programs, Debian
 <jens@xxxxxxxxxx>    #                      -- Subject on a spam to