[users@httpd] Authorization header without password for basic authentication on a reverse proxy

I have set up a reverse proxy (mod_proxy) on Apache 2.0.53 on SuSE Linux 9.3. The reverse proxy successfully handles basic authentication and then forwards to the protected web server. The authentication is handled by mod_auth_ldap against a M$ Active Directory Server.

The user and password are transferred by standard apache functionality in a http request header parameter called 'authorization'. The value of the parameter looks something like this: 'Basic WErwSrweW4Dsaf3_'. The first means basic authentication, the latter is '<userid>:<password>' in a Base64-encoded format. I trust the authentication on Apache and would like to remove this unencrypted password, so that only the userid is transferred to the web server. It is a security issue not to disclose the password to anyone behind the reverse proxy.

Is there any configuration where this can be set?

In case it cannot be configured: Which module of apache handles setting the authorization header? I did not find anything in the 2.0 sources (mod_proxy.c; mod_proxy_util.c; mod_proxy_http.c;mod_auth_ldap.c....). Are there useful changes with Apache 2.2?

Hayo Schmidt