Re: [users@httpd] SSL / HTML question

On 2/6/06, Mark McCulligh <mmcculli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This type of attack can be pulled off even if the login form is secured.
> The attacker just has create a login page that looks like mine and get
> the user to use it.  A lot of users won't realize they are on the wrong
> website and the lock(secure) is missing.  We have all seen those Paypal
> emails that try and get you to click on the link and login.

Yes, it is easy to fool the average user.  The difference with the
man-in-the-middle attack is that it would fool a relatively
sophisticated user.  There is essentially no way to tell your info is
about to be stolen unless you view-source and analyze the code.  For
the other attacks you mention, a quick look at the URL bar will tell
the story.  (But I agree that most users don't even bother to do
that.)

Joshua.