I'm fresh to all that stuff but working hard to accomplish and undertanding how this fine software works. Now it is time for me to research as i need a log in system for my aplication writen in php. I know that both of you are right and i have already choosen a diferent aproach for this matter.

Kind regards,

Kbl_master

On 25 de Jan de 2006, at 5:56 AM, Boyle Owen wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: info.raa [mailto:info@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Dienstag, 24. Januar 2006 19:30
To: Apache List
Subject: [users@httpd] path

Hi everyone!

Is anybody know how i limit the path, shown in the browser, to always
show the adress or ip of the server but never the directory or files
that was used to show the html?

Joshua has already explained why this is a bad idea from the point of
view of your clients.

But I might add that it does nothing to help your "security" either. The simple fact is that browser *has* to have a unique URL for each resource
(image, page, CSS, etc.) on your site. Whether this URL is printed in
the browser location bar is irrelevant from a security point-of-view,
since it is certainly available in plain-text in the HTML source.

Put it another way, if an attacker is so stupid that he doesn't know
about "[right-click] -> View Source", then he is never going to be able
to hack you anyway.

In any case, trivial details about your filesystem are useless to a
hacker. Unless he has an exploit that can open a shell on the server,
knowing the odd directory name is no use (and if he does get in, he
immediately knows everything about the filesystem anyway). So keep your
system secure - up-to-date server software and OS.

I guess your real concern is that you feel uneasy about putting paths to
cgi and SQL arguments on the query-string (eg,
/cgi/my_db_query.pl?name=Fred&age=35&shoe=44). You shouldn't - obviously
your CGI script is written in such a way that it carefully parses user
input (tainting, removing suspicious characters etc.) Isn't it? Well, it
should be...

But, if you really want to decouple the URL-space from the real
filesystem, consider using mod_rewrite, or if you really want to go to
town, install Cocoon.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

I'm using apache 2.0.52

Thanks a bunch!

kbl_Master

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of the sender's company.