Re: [users@httpd] how to enable a module in one virtualhost

On 1/24/06, Jason Keltz <jas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Excellent.  That does work.  However, the authentication page still
> >> comes up requesting a username/password when I attempt to visit the http
> >> version of the page.  It's just that any username and password will
> >> display the "Internal Server Error".  Is there any way to make that
> >> failure error come up without even displaying the authentication page?
> >
> > Not that I know of.
>
> Joshua,
>
> I just realized -- if the user types their name and password, hits enter
> and gets the "Internal Server Error" page, hasn't their password already
> been sent in the clear from browser to server?  This would defeat the
> purpose of my intention to only allow PAM authentication via https.
> Sure, PAM authentication would be off, but the name and password (I
> think) would still be sent in the clear.  Do you or anyone else have any
> suggestions of how to get around this?

Well, you can add "AuthType digest" to the <Location /> section.

But it sounds to me like you are trying to indirectly tackle a problem
that could be addressed more directly.  The problem is that .htaccess
files apply to both the ssl and non-ssl host.  You can prevent this by
using AllowOverride to turn .htaccess off in the non-ssl host, or use
AccessFileName to change the name of the .htaccess file there to
something different.  Then nobody should be stupid enough to do
"require" on the non-ssl side when they know the only result will be a
500 error.

Joshua.