RE: [users@httpd] SSI won't run unless .htaccess in sub-dir

There are a couple of things about your config which raised my eyebrows:

- I noticed you have "index.cgi" in your DirectoryIndex list. Are you sure the index files in the subdirs are accessed via index.shtml? That is, they're not index.cgi, by any chance? (trying to generate SSI directives using a CGI script is difficult because of the order in which data is processed).

- You have FollowSymLinks as an option. Does this mean some resources are actually at the end of a symbolic link? If so, make sure the end of the link (the real file) is not in a protected dir.

- Is there anything in the .htaccess files *apart from* the Auth directives? Any more Options, for example (redefining Options in a more specific context can wipe out earlier settings).

> There are two sub-dirs of www - LoanDept and Application. Each has an
> index.shtml in it. After adding .htaccess to LoanDept to
> provide id/pw
> access for that sub-dir I find that Application/index.shtml
> won't run i.e.
> the browser renders the SSI directive instead of executing
> it. Once I copy
> LoanDept/.htaccess to Application/.htaccess then
> Application/index.shtml works.

This sounds like Application/index.shtml needs a resource in LoanDept to work. But if LoanDept is protected, it can't get it (check in the error log to see what is being denied). When you put the same protection on Application, you force the browser to present the credentials so then the resource in LoanDept becomes available.

I think your setup is a little more complicated than you have explained so far - have another look at it and try to work out exactly how each resource is supposed to come together.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> Yikes, gotta be something stupid I did, but what?
regarding your problem

> Marty
>

> Marty Landman, Face 2 Interface Inc. 845-679-9387
> Webmaster's Bulletin Board: http://bbs.face2interface.com/
> Web Installed Formmail: http://face2interface.com/formINSTal

Diese E-mail ist eine private und persönliche Kommunikation. Sie hat keinen Bezug zur Börsen- bzw. Geschäftstätigkeit der SWX Gruppe. This e-mail is of a private and personal nature. It is not related to the exchange or business activities of the SWX Group. Le présent e-mail est un message privé et personnel, sans rapport avec l'activité boursière du Groupe SWX.

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of the sender's company.