From: Kermit Short [mailto:k_short@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 3:22 PM
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0 on RedHat EL 4 - httpd process will not start

Gary-

            I understand.  I’m not logging in as these users.  What I meant by saying that I attempted to run apache as the users “apache” and “www-data”, was that I specified those usernames in the httpd.conf file.  I have attempted to launch the process using either sudo or a direct root login, so when I issue the command “/etc/init.d/httpd start”  I’m doing so with uid 0.  Nonetheless, I receive the error message of  “bad username”.  Thanks for your advice, though!

Kermit Short

System Administrator

CCN-DC-1 D-Div

ph: 7-6360