Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0 on RedHat EL 4 - httpd process will not start

Kermit,

I think you missed the point.  In order to run Apache under the user apache
and group apache they must have a group and a user with that same name.

By default RHEL 4 creates the user/group apache as follows:

passwd: apache:x:48:48:Apache:/var/www:/sbin/nologin
group: apache:x:48:

If these don't exist then it can't start as that user.  Also, apache should
not be admin.  It is a normal user.  But you must start it as a root user as
it needs to use a privileged port.

Hope that helps,

Gary Wayne Smith