RE: [users@httpd] samba artifact on error log?

I don't think it's anything to do with samba...

These entries are usually caused by a request that cannot be assigned to *any* VH and so is served by default. (The default docroot is /usr/local/apache/htdocs but presumably this doesn't exist on your system...)

The real question is how the request is managing to fall through the entire config without hitting a valid VH - guesses might be:

- you are using name-based VHs, but this request is coming in without a Host header (e.g. HTTP 1.0 or 0.9), although I think this would go to the first VH...
- you are listening on more than 1 IP but have VHs assigned to only 1 IP and this request is on the other.

To get more info, put the Host header into the log (add %{Host}i to LogFormat - see docs for details) and cross-ref the errors with the access log.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> on my Apache error log for... forever. Workstation is Win XP
> home and the
> server runs RedHat 9 with Apache and Samba. I'm thinking this
> is some kind
> of Apache Samba Windows interaction cluttering up the httpd
> error log but
> not totally sure.
>
> Albeit there are no messages on either /var/log/samba/n|smbd.log or
> /var/log/messages which come close to a corresponding timestamp.
>
> Anyone use my style config i.e. xp workstation, linux apache
> server running
> samba who's either run into this, or has not?
>
> Marty
>

> Marty Landman, Face 2 Interface Inc. 845-679-9387
> Webmaster's Bulletin Board: http://bbs.face2interface.com/
> Web Installed Formmail: http://face2interface.com/formINSTal

Diese E-mail ist eine private und persönliche Kommunikation. Sie hat keinen Bezug zur Börsen- bzw. Geschäftstätigkeit der SWX Gruppe. This e-mail is of a private and personal nature. It is not related to the exchange or business activities of the SWX Group. Le présent e-mail est un message privé et personnel, sans rapport avec l'activité boursière du Groupe SWX.

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of the sender's company.