[users@httpd] webdav DAVLockDB files not created

Hello,

I'm running apache 2.0.55 on freebsd 5.4, installed from the ports collection.

Apache/2.0.55 (FreeBSD) PHP/4.4.1 DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.0.55 OpenSSL/0.9.7e

I recently upgraded from 2.0.54; in that version, webdav was working perfectly.
After the upgrade, webdav clients cannot connect, and apache no longer creates
the lock files where the DAVLockDB directive specifies.

I have LogLevel set to debug, and there are no errors on startup or when
webdav clients attempt to connect.  The mod_info module shows that the
mod_dav and mod_dav_fs are loaded and functional on the /server-info page:

Module Name: mod_dav_fs.c
Content handlers: none
Configuration Phase Participation: Create Server Config, Merge Server Configs
Request Phase Participation: none
Module Directives:
    DAVLockDB - specify a lock database
Current Configuration:
    DAVLockDB /tmp/DAVLock

Module Name: mod_dav.c
Content handlers: yes
Configuration Phase Participation: Create Directory Config, Merge Directory Configs, Create Server Config, Merge Server Configs
Request Phase Participation: Fixups
Module Directives:
    DAV - specify the DAV provider for a directory or location
    DAVMinTimeout - specify minimum allowed timeout
    DAVDepthInfinity - allow Depth infinity PROPFIND requests
Current Configuration:
    <Location /davtest>
      DAV on
    </Location>

I created /davtest to simplify debugging.  /tmp is mode 1777, so the apache
user can write to it.  I also tried with an apache-owned directory under
the ServerRoot directory, but the lock files do not get created there either.

I tried running apache with the 'truss' utility to see if there were any
errors in creating the lock files, but it doesn't appear to even try.

What could be going wrong?

Thanks,
Brent