RE: [users@httpd] SSL Logs and AWStats

That's exactly what I was suggesting.

-ascs

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark McCulligh [mailto:mmcculli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 4:08 PM
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] SSL Logs and AWStats

Joshua Slive wrote:

>On 1/18/06, Mark McCulligh <mmcculli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>I was wondering what is the different between TransferLog and
>>CustomLog.  The only difference I can see is that with the TransferLog
>>you cannot give it a log format or give it any other parameters.  If
>>this is true why use the TransferLog when the CustomLog does the same
>>thing and has move features.
>>

>TransferLog only exists for historical reasons.  There is no reason to use it.
>
>Joshua.

Thanks, I was wondering if that was the reason.

If TransferLog is for historical reasons would it be better to have your SSL VirtualHost Log setup like this:

<VirtualHost 192.168.102.10:443>
    <...>
   ErrorLog   /usr/local/httpd/logs/site1/error_log
   CustomLog  /usr/local/httpd/logs/site1/access_log combined
   CustomLog  /usr/local/httpd/logs/site1/ssl_request_log \
       "%t %h %{SSL_PROTOCOL}x %{SSL_CIPHER}x \"%r\" %b"
</VirtualHost>

Trying to figure out the best way to log SSL websites. Starting with the examples in the Apache docs.

Thanks,
Mark