Re: [users@httpd] Apache email address

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gerry Danen" <gdanen@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 3:35 PM
Subject: [users@httpd] Apache email address

When I use a php form to send email, an address called
apache@xxxxxxxxxxxxx is used. Where would that be set?

--
Gerry
http://portal.danen.org/

Most likely that will be set within the php mail() function. You can modify the headers as you see fit to change the from and reply to address. I don't know all the details off the top of my head but if you take a look at http://us2.php.net/manual/en/ref.mail.php . It has the php mail() functions attributes that you can add/modify. The one you would be needing would be the headers string. It seems that the headers string will need to be formatted differently depending on the mail server you are sending through (Qmail, Exchange, etc...)

If you are using a mailserver that is different than the webserver your form is hosted on and the mailserver uses authentication you might take a look at phpmailer. http://phpmailer.sourceforge.net/ is a email transfer php class that supports smtp authentication.

I hope that is what you are after.
something like
<?php
$headers  = "From: \"Your Server\"<Your Email Address@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>\n";
$headers .= "MIME-Version: 1.0\n";
$headers .= "Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary=\"$boundary\"";
mail('myAddress@xxxxxxxxxxx', 'Email with attachment from PHP', $message, $headers);
?>

hope this points you in the right direction

Sincerely,
Adam Ossenford