[users@httpd] IndexIgnore is Ignored With Multiple Slashses

I have noticed that mod_autoindex ignores the IndexIgnore
directive if there is more than one slash after the
domain name.  For example:
http://wolever.net/autoindex/
http://wolever.net//autoindex/
The htaccess file is included in the directory list.
This seems to affect directories recursively, but the extra
slashes must be right after the domain name:
http://wolever.net///autoindex/test/
ignores IndexIgnore, where as:
http://wolever.net/autoindex//test/
does not.
As far as I can tell, the only changes I have made to
httpd.conf that might have something to do with this is:
IndexOptions FancyIndexing NameWidth=* DescriptionWidth=*
Other than that, its Apache 1.3.31 running on Gentoo.
I have confirmed this bug/feature on my external host:
http://nfs.wolever.net/test/
They are running Apache 1.3.34.  More info here:
http://example.nfshost.com/phpinfo.php
While it is not vital for any of my hosts, I thought it
might be worth getting out there.
David

PS: I'm terribly sorry if this has already been reported...
but it is terribly hard to Google.

--
  David Wolever - http://wolever.net/~wolever
  AIM: davidswolever MSN: david@xxxxxxxxxxx