Re: [users@httpd] deny from all is needed?

According to the Apache docs, the default as you have it is to allow all. Therefore Deny from all is needed.

Alfred,

cifroes wrote:

Hi,

I'm having a small argument with another "sys admin" (ok, newbies sys admins :P) and i would like to know if you can help, I want to restrict a dir to only a network (10.254.0.0/24). I'm using this config:

<VirtualHost *:80>

       ServerName      test.example.com

       DocumentRoot    /var/www/manual

       ErrorLog       /var/log/error_log

       CustomLog      /var/log/access_log common

       <Directory "/var/www/manual">

               Order deny,allow

               Allow from 10.254.0.0/24

       </Directory>

</VirtualHost>

As you noticed i'm not using in the directory directive the "deny from all" instruction and that is my doubt: *is it still correct to use it this way without the "deny from all" or the deny from all is needed for this to work?*

I tried it and i think it works as is, but my friend is telling me he always uses deny from all and that it is needed... Apache version is the latest from 2.0 and all other configs are not touched.

Thanks in advance for your feedback,
 -- cifroes