To: <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, January 07, 2006 11:56 PM
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Access control problems, .htaccess and Directory and Allow directives

On 1/7/06, Emmanuel E <emmanuel.e@xxxxxxx> wrote:

<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
</Directory>

The .htaccess file in C:\ contains the following:

=====================
AuthUserFile c:/apache2/bin/password.txt
AuthName "blah"
AuthType Basic
Require user blah
Satisfy All
======================

AllowOverride All is enabled for the Directory htdocs. Therefore it should
look up the .htaccess file.  The .htaccess files documentation says that
Apache traverses every folder upto the root directory looking for .htaccess
files. Therefore it should reach the file in C:\. However it is not

Apache only looks for .htaccess files in directories where
AllowOverride is not none.  It doesn't look for AllowOverride only in
the directory requested; it looks also in all parent directories.  So
the AllowOverride none in <Directory /> above tells apache not to look
for .htaccess files in the root directory or any directories
underneath it until there is one where AllowOverride is set otherwise.

Joshua.