Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.2.0 and Basic AuthType

Joshua Slive wrote:

On 1/6/06, Mark McCulligh <mmcculli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Here is everything:

Thanks.  That was much clearer.

In the httpd.conf file I uncommented the httpd-vhosts.conf,
httpd-ssl.conf and httpd-default.conf options.  No other changes.

Why did you uncomment those extra config files?  Especially
httpd-default.conf should almost never be needed and httpd-vhosts.conf
will mess up your site unless you edit it, and you haven't described
any edits.

<Directory "/usr/local/awstats/wwwroot"> /
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Login"
AuthUserFile /usr/local/httpd/pwd/users.pwd
Require valid-user
/</Directory> /

I assume those extra slashes in the first and last line are not in the
actual config file.

When I try to access the /awstats/awstats.pl file I get a 403 error,
browser does not prompt me to login.  It work fine if I don't add Basic
Auth to the wwwroot folder. [AWStats default setup]

Given that this directory is not under the DocumentRoot and the
default config includes
<Directory />
Deny from all
</Directory>

You'll need an "Allow from all" in your awstats <Directory> section to
get access.  Of course, you should be getting a message in the error
log about that.  Are you SURE the error log contains NOTHING?

Joshua.
I added the "Allow from all" to the directory and it works now.

<Directory "/usr/local/awstats/wwwroot">
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Login"
AuthUserFile /usr/local/httpd/pwd/users.pwd
Require valid-user
Allow from all
</Directory>

Just wondering why in other versions of Apache I did not have to have this line to get AWStats to work? Is it because with Apache 2.2.0 the default directory is now "Deny from all"?

I commented out the httpd-default.conf file again. I uncommented it trying to get things to work. I do have a couple website in the httpd-vhost.conf file.

Thanks again for your help Joshua,
Mark.