[users@httpd] Process issue w/ 2.0.54

I have three web servers, Linux 2.6.13 based running Apache 2.0.54 (From Debian). They are all running using worker.c, with the following config:

<IfModule worker.c>
 ThreadLimit 128
 ServerLimit 128
 StartServers 64
 MaxClients 4096
 MinSpareThreads 25
 MaxSpareThreads 75
 ThreadsPerChild 128
 MaxRequestsPerChild 10000
</IfModule>

Two work fine, with only a couple of Apache processes running. The third starts by spawning 4096 Apache processes, then ends up with 134 running after a couple of minutes. As far as I can tell using md5sum, all of the libraries and binaries are the same on the boxes, however this third one behaves differently. If I browse to /server-status on any of the three machines, they all only have a single PID listed at the bottom. Even though there are 134 Apache processes, only one seems to be doing something.

Is there a specific kernel issue, or something with libc which would cause Apache to use processes rather than threads when using worker.c? I've hit a brick wall with my own basic diagnostics, and google didn't help me very much either.

Any pointers would be appreciated...

David