[users@httpd] double login

The sysadmin at the hosting service that I am using can't figure out
why double logins (both must be valid) are required to access a
password protected directory that is protected using .htaccess under
Apache2.0.

This is happening for accounts other than mine.

He thinks there exists some 2nd .htaccess (that he cannot find) that
is causing the problem.

Double logins are required whether i set up the password protection
via their web interface, or mannually via the command line.

Not sure if the following info will be useful, but here it is ........

If I manually set up the password protection, I must specify true
absolute paths such as:

   /home/virtual/site102/fst/var/www/html/E/.htpasswd

as opposed to:

   /var/www/html/.htpasswd

(i do not have read access through the true absolute path)

And here is the .htaccess file:

AuthUserFile    /home/virtual/site102/fst/var/www/html/E/.htpasswd
AuthName "mike"
AuthType Basic
require valid-user

(I know it is not a good idea to place the password files in a web
accessible location. They are there just to make debugging more
convienient)

Any tips I can pass on to the sysadmin?

tia,
mike