Re: [users@httpd] Apache 1.3: Aliases no longer working

Joshua Slive wrote:
On 12/12/05, Stephen Collyer <scollyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Well, if we're going to be picky, I guess you're right: I should
have said that I found nothing that helped me. Yes, I got an "access
denied by server configuration", but let's face it, if you get a 403
then it doesn't take a genius to guess that it's the server config;
the question is *where* in the config, and that's where verbose
trace would help.

Well, if you had actually posted that error message to the list,
instead of telling us there was nothing there, then it would have
avoided the wild-goose-chase that we all went on.

Fair comment, and guilty as charged.

Then the only extra information that apache could give you would be to
tell you exactly where in the config file the relevant Deny statement
lived.  In fact, I believe I remember a proposal to emit the config
file name and line number on errors like this, but it never got off
the ground, unfortunately.

Pity, that would be very useful.

--
Regards