RE: [users@httpd] Apache2 + userdir + suexec -- getting there :S

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I have fixed it... adding a [PT] to the end of the rewrite rule fixed the problem.

thanks,

Adam.

From: Adam Hewitt
Sent: Thursday, 8 December 2005 11:47 AM
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [users@httpd] Apache2 + userdir + suexec -- getting there :S

Hi All,

I am now one step further in diagnosing/fixing this issue that I am currently experiencing.

I now have a test setup which has removed all LDAP functionality and is reading directly from the /etc/passwd file. Now, if someone browses to http://members.domainname.com.au/~username/cgi-bin/filedel.cgi I have a rewrite in place to change the ~username to ~username@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, which matches the user I have in the /etc/passwd file. This works for normal html pages, but it still fails for cgi's.

I have ruled out suexec as being the issue altogether. I modified the suexec code to output the arguments it was recieving from apache right at the beginning of the code, and found that if I remove the rewrite and use the full username in the URL then it works and suexec outputs to the log, but if I use the rewrite it fails and I get no output to the log file. Therefore the issue is laying somewhere inside the apache code.

So, can anyone suggest a way to keep the browser from seeing any rewrite so that there is no change from ~username from the customers point of view, or sugegst any reason why this would be failing? I feel that this is an apache bug, but it may be by design...and my C skills are not high enough to be able to go through the entire apache code base to try and modify my version to get around this issue.

Cheers,

Adam.