Re: [users@httpd] .htaccess Creation Under Windows

Michael Avila wrote:
Is there a way to create an .htaccess file under Windows XP Pro? I would
like to locked down a directory from direct outside connection but Windows
does not like that type of filename.

Windows likes most filesnames if you put them in quotes.  Even try saving
a file from notepad as ".htaccess" - it loves it.

Your problem is that MS tools are bad with file names and extentions, but then
again, so is Mac OS/X and most any other squishy-GUI-feelgood user interface.

Another FYI - if you want to save the file "NOTICE", you have to quote it from
notepad or it's saved as "NOTICE.txt" - I don't see this is any different.

Would it be easier just to rename all of the .htaccess files to something else and change the Apache conf file to reflect the change?

That would contradict and make the docs harder to follow, so as distributed,
httpd on win32 uses .htaccess