From: Jim Walls [mailto:k6ccc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 11:39 PM
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] .htaccess Creation Under Windows

Michael Avila wrote:

> Is there a way to create an .htaccess file under Windows XP Pro? I would
> like to locked down a directory from direct outside connection but Windows
> does not like that type of filename. Would it be easier just to rename all
> of the .htaccess files to something else and change the Apache conf file
> reflect the change? I prefer not to do that because of all of the
> applications that come with .htaccess files. I'm liable to forget to
rename
> them.

I was about to say that you were crazy because I have no problem with
.htaccess on my server.  However a little further testing and I found
you were right.  I also found a partial workaround however...  Let me
explain my network and the testing I did.

I have Apache running on a Windows 2000 Server computer.  Most of the
management (including .htaccess stuff), I do from this Windows XP
computer with the C: drive on the server mapped as Z: on this XP box.  I
have no problems at all reading or editing an existing .htaccess file on
the XP computer.  However, as you reported, I could not create a new
.htaccess file on the XP computer.  I could even copy an existing
.htaccess file (either locally on the XP computer or remotely from the
2000 server) to the local XP computer and then edit it.

The workaround would be create a .htaccess file on another computer and
copy it via a floppy, USB drive, CD, etc to your XP computer.  I even
tried sending myself an e-mail with a .htaccess file as an attachment.
When I received it on the XP computer, I had no problem saving it, and
then reading, copying, or editing it.  To that end, I will happily send
you a dummy .htaccess file as an attachment.  If your computer is like
mine, you should then be able to edit or copy it to fit your needs.

--
73