[users@httpd] Re: Add header when access is denied

Joshua Slive wrote:
> On 11/16/05, Phil Endecott wrote:
>> Dear List,
>>
>> According to the docs for mod_headers you can arange for the header
>> to be added either for sucessful requests only, or for all requests.
>> But it seems to me that the "always" case doesn't really mean always,
>> as the header is not added when access has been denied.
>
> It appears that you are using the multi-lingual error messages.  What
> happens if you use the standard internal error messages or just a
> ErrorDocument 403 "Not allowed"

Hi Joshua, thanks for the reply. Yes, when I comment-out my ErrorDocument directives I get what I had expected:

$ wget --header="X-moz: prefetch" -S (URL)
--19:58:49--
           => `index.html.1'
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
 1 HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden
 2 Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 19:58:57 GMT
 3 Server: Apache/2.0
 4 Vary: X-moz,Accept-Encoding
 6 Keep-Alive: timeout=15, max=100
 7 Connection: Keep-Alive
 8 Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
19:58:57 ERROR 403: Forbidden.

I get this for both no ErrorDocument and ErrorDocument 403 "Not Allowed".

My ErrorDocuments are the standard ones from the Debian package. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Presumably it's a case of appending rather than setting the Vary header somewhere. If not I'll just stick with the default messages.

Cheers,

--Phil.