[users@httpd] Problem with AuthPAM_Enabled' error in Apache2

Hi,

I have been using Apache for some years now but am new to the list. I
have been getting a problem with a fresh install of Apache 2.0.55 from
the Debian unstable repositry.

When I try to access a newly created Virtual host I get the following error:

  Internal Server Error

unable to complete your request.

In the error logs I see the following:

[Wed Nov 09 15:03:51 2005] [alert] [client 69.212.211.252] /.htaccess:
Invalid command 'AuthPAM_Enabled', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a

My VirtualHost file contains the following: [Domain name hidden]

NameVirtualHost *
<VirtualHost my.domain.org>
ServerAdmin mick@xxxxxxxxxx
DocumentRoot /home/hosts/test
ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/my.domain.org-error.log
CustomLog /home/test/log/my.domain.org-access.log common
<Directory /home/hosts/test>
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

Inside the /home/hosts/test directory I have only a simple test
index.html file.

I tried installing AuthPAM with the following:

apt-get install libapache2-mod-auth-pam

With this installed I get an authentication box for authentication to
Intranet, which is a password protected area of another site and nothing
to do with this virtual host. If I use the authentication details I have
for that site I get to the test index page from
http://my.domain.org:8000 (I am running from this port for testing as I
have a working version of Apache2 serving live sites).

I can not figure out where it is picking up the .htaccess file from and
why it is asking for authentication to directories that should be
accessible to everyone.

My understanding is that PAM is used to authentication against UNIX
accounts, but this is not what is happening here. I do not want to use
PAM at all. I want to be able to host Virtual domains that are publicly
accessible and protect individual directories with .htaccess files as I
have done since version 1.2 of Apache quite happily.

Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.

Mick.