Re: [users@httpd] Question about mod_cache

On 11/9/05, Matthew R. Hamilton <matthew.hamilton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am looking to set up some caching apache servers to offload commonly accessed
> static content.  We had been using IBM's WebSphere Edge Components 5.0.2 until
> we started experiancing issues where the ibmproxy process would constantly
> crash, but not in any sort of predictable manner.  We currently deployed apache
> 2.0.52 on RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 ES (update 3).  I enabled mod_cache as well
> as mod_mem_cache and mod_disk_cache in my test environment.  I was expecting to
> see entries in the CacheRoot folder, which is owned by the user that the apache
> process is running as.  I basicly took the sample httpd.conf from the apache
> site and modified it to fit my environment.

> I first tried the disk cache only, but never saw any entries in the CacheRoot,
> so then I tried it with the mem_cache and still no entries.  I am not sure how
> to verify if the cache works or not.  What I would like to use is the mem_cache
> for the majority of the content and the disk_cache for other larger pdf type
> files.  Is there anyone out there that knows how to verify if the cache is
> working or not, or what I might have done wrong.  I can post the whole
> httpd.conf file if needed.

Change LogLevel to debug and look in the error log to determine if
mod_cache is active.  (You can also log the "Age" HTTP Response header
in the access log to see what responses are cached).  But I wouldn't
bother trying mod_cache on anything except the very latest 2.0
versions, and I would recommend using 2.1, which has many cache
improvements.

Joshua.