Re: [users@httpd] Serving dynamic pages with C

It was thus said that the Great Joshua Kogut once stated:

> Also, what advantages over perl, php, heck, even asp does C have? Many of
> these server-side languages have syntax that is closely related to C.
> There's a better way to do this, and you would be saving yourself alot of
> time and effort.

  Speed (which may not be all that much of an advantage) and size (Perl and
PHP are both huge).  It also doesn't hurt if you have a library to help with
the CGI side of things (and I do---been in constant development since 1996).
It even includes a templating system [1][2].  It's also about 24k of
compiled code, which today isn't all that large at all.

  Of course, it helps to know C when using the code. [4]

  -spc (And it's GNU GPLed too!  Although the documentation is a bit
	lacking ... )

[1]	Well, not quite yet as the code has finally stabalized to a point
	where I can consider adding it to the base library.

[2]	It's a simple templating system that has the benefit [3] that it is
	impossible to include program code in the templates.

[3]	At least, *I* consider it a benefit.

[4]	No buffer overflows that I've been able to find---string and file
	manipuation have been abstracted and it's very rare that I actually
	have to deal with a character buffer directly.