Re: [users@httpd] Serving dynamic pages with C

On 11/3/05, Rob Belics <rob_belics@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I would like my Apache server to dynamically create and serve some web
> pages using 'C'.  I am not interested in using the default CGI or Perl.
> I have gotten myself turned round and round for weeks on how to do
> this.  I know I need to use the API but I don't understand where
> handlers and modules fit in.
>
> An example of where I am confused.  If a request for index.html comes
> in, would I have AddHandler myhandler .html in httpd.conf and write code
> for 'myhandler' to do this?  Wouldn't 'myhandler' actually be a module?
> Or are modules just a collection of handlers like a library?
>
> I think I might have enough information to know how to write a module if
> I just knew how Apache knew when and where to call my 'whatever' but I
> just need some direction.

Modules are simply bits of code added to apache.  They can contain
handlers, filters, access checkers, or other bits that plug into
request processing.  Writing a module that impliments a handler is not
terribly complicated, but it does require a decent understanding of
the API.  And the documentation is probably a little thin.

I'd start by finding the existing module that most closely resembles
what you want to do, and then work from there.  Documentation is at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.1/developer/
(focus on the external resources, which are more up to date).
There is also a mailing list dedicated to this topic at
http://modules.apache.org/subscribe

Joshua.