[users@httpd] Serious Memory Leak Problem

I've asked about this before and never got an answer that solved the problem. I used to run my server on a dual xeon computer and it was very memory efficient. I moved to the 64 bit version of of Fedora Core 4 and now it's filling up memory really fast.

Both servers had 4 gigs of ram. And basically the same configuration file using the same modules for both. It is especially bad where perl is involved.

Now I have to set MaxRequestsPerChild to no more than 10 to keep ram from filling up.  The server is rather busy serving 67 requests per second.  If I set MaxRequestsPerChild to 30 - it quickly fills up another gig of ram.

Here's some data I saved:

On the new server running top it shows *httpd* processes using:

virt 201m
res 53m
shr 11m

On the old server the *httpd* process show:

virt: 50k
res 14m
shr 10k

That's quite a difference.

What can I do to nail this down. Or - is the 64 bit version just broken? Or is the a Dual Core Athlon related problem?

I really need to fix this. Sure could use some help on trying to figure out where the problem is.

Thanks in advance.