RE: [users@httpd] make URL's case insensitive

At 10:44 -0700 10/24/05, dogbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote, in part:
> . . . as opposed to general case-insensitivity which is
>not possible (and, in addition, not advisable, since proxy caches,
>search engines, etc are all case sensitive).

Well, Google is case INsensitive and proud of it. I once complained explicitly because of things like the ON in ON Semiconductor or universal use of caps in part numbers for electronics. AD for Analog Devices zB. Their polite answer was, paraphrased a bit,  "get lost, we know what we're doing." Try searching for AND gates.

Think Mac OX neXt. . . I have a local machine named Gallifrey running Linux. I place an entry for it into my /etc/hosts file pointing to 192.168.1.26. Asking Safari to access Apache at http://Gallifrey fails!. The Someone changes the URL to http://gallifrey.  Placing a parallel entry in /etc/hosts named gallifrey fixes it up. The doctor deserves to have his home planet capitalized.

It appears that OS neXt converts everything to lower case expecting a DNS server to be case insensitive, as per URL specifications, when its own nslookup fails when looking into a local hosts file.
--

-->  Halloween  == Oct 31 == Dec 25 == Christmas  <--