Sent: Monday, October 24, 2005 2:37 PM
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Re: Should be easy RewriteRule issue: mod_rewrite.

On 10/24/05, Andoni <andonilist@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Joshua (and all),
>
> That worked great thanks, I had to take out the caret ^ you had at the
> beginning of /servMainSite in the RewriteRule to make it work but otherwise
> fine.

Yes, that was a typo on my part.

>   RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ /servMainSite?inner=$1 [R,QSA,L]
>
> I also added the R flag. Mainly because I always have done and it has always
> worked for me! The documentation is so confusing though, can you tell me if
> it is necessary? When I look at the RewriteLog I find that it has now got a
> 302 is this what I want? Should I add a "permanent" flag?

The R indicates an external redirect, meaning the client is asked to
refetch the resource at the new location (and you'll notice a change
in the client's URL-bar).  If you omit the R (which I would recommend
in this case), the server will fetch the content at the new location
and return it to the client as if it was at the old location.

Joshua.