[users@httpd] How to prevent AuthBasic login pop-up after first failed login attempt

Hi,

 for a secured webserver, I have the following setup/requirements

a) HTTPS access only
b) Clients need certificate
c) for different parts of the site, I want to restrict access to
certain certificates.

 a) and b) work great. c) works mostly. I am using the SSLOption
"FakeBasicAuth" to extract the DN from the certificate and check them
against a htpasswd file. This works as expected when one of the
"valid-users" is trying to request the page. If one with a valid
certificate, but nonmatching DN comes along he is not let in (GOOD !!),
but gets the log in pop-up (BAD !!). In that case I would like to
immediately send the "forbidden" response. Is than possible at all?

 My setup is RH9, Apache-2.0.54, mod_ssl from the 2.0.54 tarball.

 One example config is:

<Location "/usage">
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
    SSLOptions +StrictRequire +FakeBasicAuth +OptRenegotiate
    SSLRequireSSL
#
# Virtual host does a "SSLVerifyClient optional", to allow
# display of a Banner page to non-certificate users.
#
    SSLRequire %{SSL_CLIENT_VERIFY} eq "SUCCESS"
    AuthName             "Admin Users"
    AuthType             Basic
    AuthUserFile         /xxx/admin.passwd
    require              valid-user