Re: [users@httpd] how can I serve pages while running as a root

thanks for the help,
but still it doesn't work. I modify again the src/Configuration and rebuild
EXTRA_CFLAGS=-DBIG_SECURITY_HOLE
(actually the src/Configuration doesnt have the space before the equal, just a typo error in my mail)
still I got the same error.
I am creating a NAS like web, just like create users, create shares..etc...
i have tried modifying the sudoers file but looks like it cannot really perform what i'm expected. just like create user, you need to modify the sudoers file permitting to execute useradd, but what about smbpasswd, the shadow, etc...maybe i need more research on this.
but if i got the root running, then all my problems seems to be solve :-))
dont worry about the security, only the root still can access this.
I really need your help.

have patience with my english,
warren

On 10/12/05, Joshua Slive <jslive@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 10/12/05, Warren Beldad <advisory22@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am new to this list and also a newbie on apache :-((
> I just want to ask on how can I serve pages while running as a root. I know
> this is a big security risk, but i really need to run as a root. ex. create
> a user, etc...modify the sudoers file still no success.
> i found another of this in the list last month but there are no answers.

You really don't want to do this.  If you are having a problem with
sudo, then you should look into how to fix that problem.  Running
apache as root is a very bad idea.

> I change the user to root in httpd.conf and restart the service. "Error,
> apache has not been designed to run as a root... If you still desire, add
> -DBIG_SECURITY_HOLE to the EXTRA_CFLAGS in src/Configuration file........"
> I modify the src/Configuration file:
>      EXTRA_CFLAGS =-DBIG_SECURITY_HOLE

It looks to me like you have an extra space before the equals sign
that shouldn't be there.

Joshua.