[users@httpd] Controlling Apache Win32 as a Console App

Hi folks,

I'm currently putting together a small bundle of software which others here at my company can use to give a demo of a webapp product. A goal is that the user should just be able to (for example) copy the directory to a laptop computer, run it at a customer site and then delete it afterwards with no installation of any sort.

As part of this, I have mySQL and Apache running as console applications rather than services. Some of the users giving demos don't have administrative permissions, so service installation is not possible. I provide a couple of simple scripts to start and stop the servers. mySQL is working like a charm, however...

It doesn't seem to be possible to use "apache -k shutdown" to kill an Apache instance running as a console app. It simply moans about not being able to find the Apache2 service: [Thu Oct 06 10:28:27 2005] [error] (OS 2)The system cannot find the file specified. : No installed service named "Apache2".

Closing the console window terminates Apache, but if possible I'd like to be able to wrap all of the shutdown (which includes some cleanup for our own app) into one script.

I'm currently using Apache 2.0.54. I vauguely remember being able to do this with Apache 1.3 back in the day, but I might well be remembering running it on Win9x rather than NT.

Ideally I'd also like to make the console app go into the background like mySQL's does, but that's not critical.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Martin Atkins