RE: [users@httpd] apache, virtual domains, and firewalls

Environment variables are specific to a particular machine and are typically set by one program and read by another. They are not "passed through" - ie, sent from one machine to another...

Name-based virtual hosting works by matching the contents of the "Host" header in the request with the arguments to the ServerName and ServerAlias directives. Assuming that the packet containing the request makes it through the FW, there is no reason why the Host header should be lost.

I suspect the problem is more to do with your network configuration. For example;

- how many IP addresses does apache listen to?
- does it listen to the external (real) IP?
- does it listen to an internal IP (eg 192.168...)
- does the FW translate the external IP to an internal one?
- are your NBVHs setup on the internal or external IP?

Think carefully about the route a packet takes from the outside world into the server and how it is routed as it goes through the FW (ie, how does its destination IP change).

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> Can someone point me to or provide info on how I should set up my
> (smoothwall and linksys router) firewall to pass the environment
> variables through?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kevin
>

> v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v
>
> Beausejour news - http://beausejour.yia.ca/
> ~~~~~~~
> Uvea tech news and forums - http://tech.uveais.ca/
> ~~~~~~~
> Beausejour LUG - http://bjlug.yia.ca/

Diese E-mail ist eine private und persönliche Kommunikation. Sie hat keinen Bezug zur Börsen- bzw. Geschäftstätigkeit der SWX Gruppe. This e-mail is of a private and personal nature. It is not related to the exchange or business activities of the SWX Group. Le présent e-mail est un message privé et personnel, sans rapport avec l'activité boursière du Groupe SWX.

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of the sender's company.