[users@httpd] Tomcat 3.2.3 vs Tomcat 5.5.9 issue

Hi,

I recently downloaded Tomcat 5.5.9 on a Windows XP machine and
moved a small servlet application from 3.2.3 to it.  This is
actually an example from a textbook.  Unfortunately the servlet
will not run under 5.5.9.  The web.xml file entries for this
servlet are:

 <servlet>
   <servlet-name>welcome1</servlet-name>
     <description>
     A simple servlet that handles an HTTP get request.
    </description>
   <servlet-class>
     com.deitel.advjhtp1.servlets.WelcomeServlet
   </servlet-class>
 </servlet>
 <servlet-mapping>
   <servlet-name>welcome1</servlet-name>
   <url-pattern>/welcome1</url-pattern>
 </servlet-mapping>

The html form that calls this includes the following:
  <form action = "\advjhtp1\welcome1" method = "get">

My directory structure includes:
<inst-dir>
 <webapps>
   <advjhtp1>
      <WEB-INF>
         web.xml
         <classes>
           <com deitel etc.>
              WelcomeServlet.class

The message I get when I try to run is Status 404, the requested
resource is not available.  As I said, I copied the advjhtp1
directory from webapps under a 3.2.3 Tomcat installation, where it
ran fine.  So I'm wondering what the difference might be?  FYI, I
did have to recompile the class, because it first gave the message
com.deitel.advjhtp1.servlets.WelcomeServlet is not a Servlet. So I
recompiled using the servlet-api.jar file under Tomcat5.5\common\lib,
which resolved the "not a Servlet" issue, but left the status 404
code. The servlet itself basically just prints "Welcome to Servlets". Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!