Re: [users@httpd] Apache - High Memory Usage Problem - HELP!

My site is fairly high traffic. about 20 gigs an hour. 60 requests a second. Apparently I'm using prefork. Do you think MPMs would be the better choice?

Bill Sargent wrote:
Well if you're running the stock Apache, it should work just fine.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mpm.html

Theres the link to read about MPMs and the different types :) Worker MPM
tends to be good for high traffic sites and saves RAM. Prefork is default
with Apache (Not sure about precompiled FC4 binaries though). If your sites
are not getting a lot of traffic, I recommend prefork because with my
experience, its faster.

You can determine which one yours uses by running "httpd -l" and you'll see
something like this:

Compiled in modules:
  core.c
  mod_access.c
  mod_auth.c
  mod_include.c
  mod_log_config.c
  mod_env.c
  mod_setenvif.c
  prefork.c
  http_core.c
  mod_mime.c
  mod_status.c
  mod_autoindex.c
  mod_asis.c
  mod_cgi.c
  mod_negotiation.c
  mod_dir.c
  mod_imap.c
  mod_actions.c
  mod_userdir.c
  mod_alias.c
  mod_so.c

As you can see, mine is prefork. It'll say worker.c otherwise. :)

Sorry I can't be of much more assistance than that. I don't like precompiled
binaries. I prefer to compile my own things because I feel I have more
control over things like memory and speed... as in I can compile in what I
need and not have things I don't need. :)

Thanks,
Bill