Re: [users@httpd] Apache - High Memory Usage Problem - HELP!

On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 08:37:16AM -0700, Marc Perkel wrote:
> Kind of an odd problem but I'm moving my stuff to a new server and for
> some reason Apache (2.0.54) is using a lot more memory on the new server
> than on the old server.
>
> I'm hosting the same web sites and (I think) I have all the same
> software installed. Both running Fedora Core 4. The new server is
> running the 64 bit Linux. The new server is a dual core athlon - the old
> has 2 Xeon CPUs. Both have 4 gigs of ram.

64-bit platforms will in general show more memory use than a 32-bit
platform due to pointers etc being twice as big.  Linux on amd64 will
also appear to have unnaturally virtual memory use due to the way the
loader/kernel interact.  But this isn't actually physical RAM being used
up so don't worry about it.

To compare the two systems make sure that you have exactly the same
modules being loaded; PHP for instance will show up larger VM use
because it drags in so many shared libraries.

joe