Re: [users@httpd] Alias Directive Issue (403 Forbidden Error)

Trystan Hughes wrote:
Hi all,

I want to create an Alias in the apache httpd.conf file and have done
so like this

<IfModule mod_alias.c>
Alias /test_alias/ "C:\Documents and Settings\Trystan\My Documents\"
</IfModule>

So, what this should effective do is to print the directory contents
of 'My Documents' directory when I enter the following URL into my
browser...

http://localhost/text_alias/

I know this isn't the issue because you're getting a 403 not 404 error, but you've got test_alias, and text_alias.

I get a 403 Forbidden Error.

Why is this? How can I check to see what user the Apache server is
running under?

Generally Apache runs under an un-privelaged user (I've not run under Windows) such as nobody, or apache. So what you have to do is set world read access to the dirrectory and files. This probably isn't what you want to do. Though it might work. Another possibility is to put group read access and put the apache user in the group. That might work a little better.

						Jessica