Re: [users@httpd] filename.php~

Kevin O'Neil wrote:
Hi all,
I am kind of new to apache.
I have Apache/2.0.46 Linux WS 3 (Red Hat) Server PHP Version 4.3.2

I am confused and bewildered that some files in the /html have an extra file with ~ on the end. I am unsure what this means or how to stop it. I used an example on my site and was dismayed that it downloaded the file: filename.php~ and displayed all the Preprocessor information including my Database user information.

These are likely backup files created by your editor. You want to delete them when you are done editing. Some times it's hard to remember to do that. Another option is to turn off the backup feature with your editor. That would depend on the editor you are using. I typicially use either joe or vi. Joe creates these files, vi doesn't. Depends on the mood that I am in and which features I need.

How can I secure this so that all files that end with ~ do not show preprocessor information and display as if it was called as a regular php page?

One way to do this is to put the php~ in an AddHandler directive, it's much cleaner to just clean these files up. They almost certainly are not needed.

							Jessica