[users@httpd] Apache 2.0.54 creating =?utf-8,iso-8859-1?q?=22Bad=20request=22?= on POST over 8kb

Running Apache 2.0.54 on Debian Linux. A while ago I posted a message here asking about "request failed: error reading the headers" which was caused by Apache being unable to read POST-requests that were large. I suspected that this was Not My Fault(tm) as it was mostly with the users using a specific ISP. Now I did some more checking and it seems that the requests are coming to the server all right, it's Apache that's freaking out. It took me a while to pinpoint the problem as some requests worked, some didn't until I wrote a small app that does POST requests to my server and logs the response codes. I realized that when the size of the POST request reached ~8kb, Apache would respond with a "400: Bad request". The problem though was that when doing a large POST request with my browser, everything worked fine. This was because my app wasn't sending a Content-Length-header and my browser was. Apparently Apache can't handle the POST request if it is ~8kb or over AND it doesn't have the Content-Length-header set. The problem is that some proxy servers (apparently being used by the ISP), remove this header -> *problems*. Is there anything I can do, and is there a specific reason why Apache does this?
Best regards,
Tuomas Rinta