Re: [users@httpd] apache/mod_svn intermittently creates transaction dirs with incorrect permissions or ownership such that the transaction breaks.

On 9/20/05, John Duprey <john.duprey@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm seeing strange behavior with an apache module (Subversion's
> mod_svn).  Subversion commits through mod_svn are intermittently
> failing because files and/or directories are being created with ROOT
> ownership!! or permissions such that the user apache cannot write.
> This problem happens frequenlty, but _not_always_, so I know it isn't
> an outright configuration problem in apache or subversion.  Apache is
> set to run as user apache.  I've posted this to the subversion mailing
> lists and plan to file a bug.

I have never seen a report of an apache child process writing content
as root, so my first reaction is that you have some other process
accessing the repository as root and screwing up your permissions.  In
your examples, you should the effect of having a root-owned file in
the repository, but you never show apache creating such a file.  Are
you *absolutely positive* that it is apache creating the file?

Joshua.